Financial Assistance

San Bernardino County 211
The Special Education Local Plan Area is responsible for assuring program availability for all students with disabilities by assisting districts with program development and coordinating regional programs within area.
Also provides training for parents. 

San Bernardino County Homeless Providers
Directory of homeless shelters within the cities of San Bernardino County.

A program that gives cash aid and services to eligible California families. The program serves all the counties in the state and is operated locally by county welfare departments.

Covered California
Covered California and the Department of Health Services work together to support health insurance shoppers to get the coverage and care that’s right for Californians.

Housing Assistance

student with back pack

You can enroll in school even if:

  • Uncertain housing

  • A temporary address

  • No permanent physical address

You are guaranteed enrollment in school by the federal McKinney-Vento Act and California state law if you live:

  • In a house or apartment with more than one family due to loss of housing or economic hardship

  • With friends or family because you are a runaway or an unaccompanied youth

  • In substandard housing (without electricity, water, or heat)

  • In a shelter (family, domestic violence, or youth shelter or transitional living program)

  • In a motel, hotel, or weekly rate housing

  • In an abandoned building, in a car, at a campground, or on the streets

You can enroll in school immediately even without the documents normally required for enrollment, such as:

  • Proof of residency

  • Immunization records or other required health records

  • School records

  • Legal guardianship papers

Your child may:

  • Participate fully in all school activities and programs for which he/she is eligible.

  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin if you request it.

  • Continue to attend the school in which he/she was last enrolled even if you have moved away from that school’s attendance area.

  • Qualify automatically for school nutrition programs.

Your responsibilities are to:

  • Make sure your child gets to school on time and ready to learn.

  • Stay informed of school rules, regulations, and activities.

  • Contact the homeless liaison for assistance in removing barriers to your child’s education.

  • Attend parent/teacher conferences, Back-to-School Nights, and other school-related activities.

If your housing situation has changed, you can update the status via the Housing Questionnaire located in the Aeries Parent Portal.

It is not a crime to live in one of the mentioned situations and schools are here to assist you and your children with enrollment and appropriate services. This information will not be shared outside of the educational entity. 

For questions about enrolling in school or for assistance with school enrollment, contact your local school district homeless liaison: 

Alicia Lyon
Director, Pupil Services
6061 East Avenue
Etiwanda, CA 91739

Please see additional resources below:

National Center for Homeless Education Brochure

Local Community Resources